Cymdeithas Hanes Brynmawr
David Jones was born in Brynmawr and lived there until he left college to pursue his career in teaching. Apart from an interval as schools officer at Newport Museum, he taught science in a comprehensive school specialising in biology. A caver in his youth, he has walked extensively in the area. He has a special interest in ecology and the development of the landscape.
Crawshay Bailey’s Tramroad of 1825 running from Beaufort to Llangatwg Quarries formed the framework for Bailey Street and Intermediate Road in Brynmawr, and then skirted the brow of Mynydd Llangatwg. This is an account of a journey along the route of this Tramroad. The current scenery is described and its origins explained, interspersed with memories of how it was and events that evoke life in the 1950s and early 1960s.
David’s father was Gwyn Jones, and his mother was Phyllis, she ran a shop on Bailey Street next door to the Pelican public house (now both are private . He was a bus conductor with the Griffin bus company
and then the Red & White bus company. He later worked at the steel works and Tuffs boot factory before retiring. He was also involved in building the Brynmawr Swimming Baths. See our web site for more details.
If you are interested in purchasing a copy of the book please Email David on:-
firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone :- 07933714756.
Or purchase the book, by clicking on the link below