Cymdeithas Hanes Brynmawr
The Nantyglo Ironworks Casting House
Thought to be the only surviving casting house of the Nant y Glo Ironworks.
It became a Sunday School, part of Rehobeth chapel in Brynmawr, now a private house.
Built in 1819 at Caban Gwyn, not far from the Round Towers of Nantyglo, Non conformist meetings held here, they became so popular it was decided to move to a new site and so they built Rehobeth Chapel in Brynmawr. The chapel then became a dwelling house.
The company shop at Nant y Glo on Market Row
The workers at Nantyglo were paid in tokens (instead of the coin of the realm) which could only be exchanged for goods at the Company Shop.
Rehobeth Chapel at King Street Brynmawr was built in 1827, because Horeb Chapel
had become too small for the growing congregation, and many of its members moved
to Rehoboth. The Chapel was demolished in 2004.
Gravestone 01 Inscription starts ;-
"To the memory of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John, Sons of John & Mary Williams of Nant-y-Glo, all at one birth. Died June23 1832"
Such a sad tombstone, they must have died at birth or even born dead and baptised with the names of the Apostles, so they could enter Heaven.
Gravestone 02 - The Welsh inscrition translates
"No one is to open this grave...."
May be a cholera grave?
The last image is of the "Rehobeth Chapel Caretaker Rules."
The two chapels below are not really industrial remnants but are closely associated with the Iron Industry at Nantyglo.