Brynmawr Historical Society

Cymdeithas Hanes Brynmawr

Badge New Nantyglo_and_Blaina_Ironworks

About Brynmawr 

History of Town

The history of Brynmawr-  by Eifion Lloyd Davies

Then and Now

Old and modern day photographs of a particular location

The Lost Names

Old street and building names that are no longer used

The Market Hall

The history of the Market Hall

Transport - The Town Bypass Road

The building of the A467 town bypass Road in the 1980's, and the recollections of a site project manager

The Swimming Baths

The story of the building 0f Brynmawr baths, the baths in use, and how the site looks today

L-12 The New Castle Hotel George Street 1905 Queen Victoria 20 yr Jubilee wall plaque Market Hall Old 1 Gordon terr footbridge and 2 Road to Blaenafon

Aerial Views 

Views of work on A467 bypass in 1980's

The town and surrounding area in 2014

Older black and white aerial views  

Brynmawr Snow Winter 1977  (2) Alma St in foreground and Bllaenafon road HOV Dualling Jan 2017 (9)

Transport - A465 Dualling

Two pages of information on the expansion of the A465 to a dual-carriageway  road, work started in late 2014 and is due for completion

in late 2019

Lido  (2)

Poems - Page One

A poem about growing up in Brynmawr in the 1950/1960's

Photo Gallery 2

Scans of photos kindly donated by Mrs Jill Williams, taken by her late husband  Nigel.

H.O.V road landslip at the bottom of Blackrock in Nov 2000.

Blaenavon Road and Hafod Views.

Landslip HOV Road Nov 2000 (8)

Tramlines by David Jones

Details of the author, and a book about Crawshay Baileys Tramroad

 

The Railways

The railways in and around Brynmawr.

The last train from Abergavenny to Merthyr in 1958, with a downloadable booklet and a link to a video of the event.

L-37 Brynmawr Railway Station

(Please click on each image to access the relevant page)

Bus Stat Demol Feb 2000 (3)

Demolished/Renovated

Buildings that have been demolished/renovated

product_thumbnail School

Schools

Photographs of some of the schools in Brynmawr - this page is still to be completed

The Griffin Hotel

The history of the Griffin Hotel

Griffin Hotel)

Tabor Chapel

The history of Tabor Chapel and its renovation in 2017

The Clydach Gorge 1 photo

Photo Gallery 1

Heavy snowfall in the area in 1947 and again in  the 1970's/ 1980's.

Also, Brynmawr Carnival.

Transport - Clydach Gorge

The history of Clydach Gorge, and the construction of the A465 Heads of the Valleys Road in the 1960's

 

Poems - Page Two

A poem by Mark Lewis, whose parents grew up in Brynmawr

Alma Street5 Beaufort Street 9

Streets & Buildings 1

Market Square and Beaufort Street and some of their Buildings

Streets & Buildings 2

King Street, Alma Street and some of their Buildings

 

Tabor 2017 01